Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Buddy Walk 2010

I met Rita Andrews through a mutual friend of ours.

Rita and her husband William have two grown children, Lyndsey and Michael, and they have adopted four girls: one from India, one from Guatemala, and two biological sisters from Colombia. Three of the four girls have Down Syndrome.

When I saw Rita advertising a Buddy Walk for Down Syndrome on Facebook, I realized that as much as I've wanted to do fundraiser stuff like this in the past - I never have. So for a total of $20, I signed Gracie and me up to walk. The Buddy Walk was held October 16th at the Riverwalk Stadium (home of the
Montgomery Biscuits). As members of the "Princess Team" the Andrews girls were decked out in yellow shirts and tutus, and walk participants got to wear a special badge made of a princess crown with the girls' group photo attached.

Gracie, James, and I headed out that morning to meet Rita and her girls for the walk!


A picture of Gracie in her princess crown, in support of the "Princess" Team.


Rita, William, and the girls with a friend at the Buddy Walk


From l to r: Giovanni, Gabriella, Lily, and Isabella with a group of cheerleaders from a local school!


A group photo of the Princess Team and the walkers supporting them!

Although the weather was a little warmer than we expected the walk was so much fun! Rita's girls are absolute dolls and it was a blast to get to watch them dance and just have a good time. Hopefully, this will be an activity we participate in every year into the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment