Friday, April 22, 2011

Decisions, Decisions



I am having trouble even writing this blog post, and I'm not really sure why. I think it's because once my decision is out there in cyberland I will have other people to hold me accountable.

I have made the decision to turn off the television.

Okay so I turned it off already when we leave the house or are going to bed, but what I really mean is I am turning off the television.

I am a single mother to two small children. I also work full-time outside of the home. So the few hours we are home together (and not sleeping) we usually find ourselves in front of the television.

I am embarassed but willing to admit that sometimes I have let my 5-year-old watch shows with me that she probably shouldn't be watching.

But when this single mom is dog tired and trying to cook dinner, I can turn on the TV and viola!; instant babysitter!

If I had to guess, I would probably say that Gracie and I watch television about 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day. Which means the only time we aren't watching TV is when I am cooking dinner or getting it ready.

I have been really good in the last year or so about eating dinner at the table, but there are also times that we eat in the livingroom. And since I have done such a good job with limiting time on the computer when the kids are here I am hopeful that cutting back TV time will work just as well. Thank goodness for auto-blogging!

So I toyed with this idea for a little while and then finally made a decision - I am going to start April 22nd (Good Friday!) since it was such a good day for me last year. On Good Friday 2010, I received an epidural shot in my back to relieve pain due to a herniated disc that was pushing on a nerve. I have since then been majorly pain free and have stopped taking all anti-inflammatories and pain medication.

So why not start a new venture on Good Friday 2011?

With the summer months just around the corner I am finding more reasons now to turn it off and find some other way to occupy my time. I want to involve the kids in painting and other crafts. I want to spend more time outside being active. I want to get down on their level and play Barbies and build forts out of blankets and chairs and pillows. I have a whole book of "rainy day" activities so we can do lots of fun experiments and things like that.

I don't plan to quit cold turkey. There is no way that is going to happen. But my goal is to get to two hours a week, with one special movie thrown in here and there (actual trips to a movie theater not included.)

And I put so much pressure on myself to actually put this down in words that I feel like I just announced that I was giving up smoking or something like that...

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. It will get easier. I can go for days and not even turn the TV on. My problem is the computer!! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete