Saturday, July 3, 2010

Bottle Weaning



Okay moms, I need some advice!

James is down to three bottles a day as of right now. His pediatrician wants him to get at least twenty four ounces of formula a day, but at his age that seems a bit much to me.

So I've started making him a 4 ounce bottle of formula and adding two ounces of whole milk to it.

But I'm curious for a number of reasons. Number one being that his daycare will not allow him to have a bottle after he is a year old. Which means when he moves to the toddler room in August, they will only offer him a sippy cup. Which is fine, because right now he only gets one bottle at daycare - right after his nap.

He usually gets a morning bottle, the bottle after nap, and then a bottle before bedtime. But he has started refusing the bottle at night, so I'm beginning to think I should try offering a sippy cup of milk instead.

Personally, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if he was done with bottles by his first birthday!

Any suggestions? Helpful hints? I'm all ears!

1 comment:

  1. I was always told absolutely no real milk until after the 1st birthday because kids can't process all the enzymes in it yet.

    http://www.babycenter.com/0_cows-milk-when-and-how-to-introduce-it_1334703.bc

    And 24 ounces doesn't seem like enough formula to me, and based on my google research, kids 9-12 months should have 30-32 ounces a day of formula.

    As for the bottle weaning, I would offer the sippy cup for his daytime feeding at school, but Jackson was well past 12 months when we quit giving him his last bottle at night. He didn't much care for straws or sippy cups, but he finally figured things out!

    ReplyDelete