Thursday, July 15, 2010

Work or Stay Home?

So I was browsing through some posts on Jessica Turner's blog the other day and found a link to a post her husband, Matthew, wrote regarding whether or not it was unbiblical for moms to work outside the home.

I know mothers who stay at home and mothers who work outside the home. I even know some moms who stay at home with their kids, but have jobs that enable them to only work when they want to. They make their own schedule! And I even know moms who work from home!

The post that Matthew wrote was in response to what John Piper wrote about the topic. There is also a video included in Matthew's post as well.

My personal thoughts? I work full time outside the home. Sometimes that means I feel guilty because I don't get as much time with my children, so I try to make the most of the time I do have with them. Like planning trips to fun places, or having simple "movie dates" at home. Taking my daughter to a Princess Dinner at Jalapeno's. Doing things that they enjoy, and that we can enjoy together.

And when I do get time alone, I am usually trying to juggle getting things organized - laundry, stuff for daycare, internet time. I made a commitment to myself months ago to spend as little time on the internet when the kids are awake/at home, and I am pleased to say that it has worked out really well!

And because he said it so well, I'm just going to quote from the last part of Matthew's post (which I agree with a hundred percent!)

"I’m all for moms or dads staying home full-time! If that’s what works in your situation, then I think it’s great. But in today’s culture, it’s not realist for many. But because pastors and teachers with amazing influence like Piper “discourage it,” a lot of moms (and sometimes dads) working outside the home feel a lot of unnecessary guilt.

And in today’s culture, the last thing parents need is more guilt."


AMEN!

Okay moms - tell me - what are your thoughts on the subject?

No comments:

Post a Comment